Thursday, November 25, 2010

STONES: enrapturing me

...this began years ago as I, like so many others, would become enRAPTured by certain stones, connecting with their spirits/markings/shapes/colors and carrying them away with me to make my stacks and altars at home.

Eventually, I became compelled to find ways to join certain stones together 

and to enhance others...

IN REVERENCE FOR

what Nature had created.









my Lake Michigan shoreline stones soon found good company with other elements such as vintage papers, quartz, fossils, turquoise, pyrite, obsidian, leaves...

and were secured with wires, waxed threads, beeswax, rattan, fabric strips







and text: Pablo Neruda, of course, E. Meloy's quotes from
the Anthropology of Turquoise, and me.


THIS COLLECTION IS LEAVING TOMORROW FOR THE SHOP AT FOLIO'S.
(Saying good-bye to them as I took the photographs and packed them up)

18 comments:

  1. magnificent, each one more beautiful than the last....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stones are such treasures! Yes, and each one more beautiful thatn the last! And your "enhancements" have become part of the stones .... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those who is enraptured by stones and rocks. How wondrous these stones are! Wish I could go shopping at Folios!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made me want to go get all my stones that I pick up every where I go and look at them in a different way..
    I enjoyed your post it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great collection, I wonder if its hard to let them go.....?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are letting them go??? I love all of yours, but have particular favorites among them.!!!I never come home from a walk without a new rock or two.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful ... like friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Neva, I have been away on a trip to Hawaii to visit my family and actually complained about the heat there until I came home to freezing temps and snow and ice! Your wrapped stones are getting better and better-- more complex and minimal at the same time-- I especially love the bamboo wrapped one- and I love the book ANTHROPOLOGY OF TURQUOISE-- what a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly magnificent, each stone, each construction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stones that speak to me. Each one a new story unfolding.

    Such beautiful creations.

    Will you miss them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the combination of stones with written papers. They're like little secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just spectacular. Seeing so many together really highlights their power.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you will miss them ..each is such a treasure.. what a lovely way to make art

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stones and fabric creations and delicious to savor carefully. Superb texture with wonderful tones, very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like rocks, stones, and such. It is interesting, what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhhh, what you do with these stones.... strings and words, tying them so they can share their beauty with another. How I love them all! roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. très belle création..avec même.. un cristal de montagne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are amazing. I especially love the ones with leaves and wax. I am sure these will find wonderful new homes.

    ReplyDelete